We are looking for a suitably skilled person to join the maintenance team at the ski area. A trade qualification in mechanical or engineering areas would be preferred, however a person with proven experience and aptitude may be considered for this position. You will join a small team of skilled and dedicated people who form the core of the ski area operation ensuring a safe and efficient operation of the ski area and its facilities.
The role involves the mechanical repair and maintenance of plant, equipment and machinery that is owned and operated by the company. This includes but is not limited to the service and repair of diesel generator plant, snow grooming machinery, grader, excavator, snow making equipment, small engines, passenger vehicles, lift drive engines etc. An onsite workshop provides a base for maintenance work, but many tasks are carried out in the field. The applicant would be expected to provide their own basic hand tools with specialised tools and equipment being provided by the company. 4x4 vehicle will be provided for work on site and transport from Springfield each day is available.
Expectations of this role include:
- Be aware of and demonstrate a high standard of health and safety practices in the workplace
- Responsible, honest and enthusiastic
- Ability to work in a team environment
- Ability to work unsupervised at times
- Willing to work flexible hours during the winter operating season
- Show a high standard of workmanship and a solid work ethic
Qualifications and Experience (desirable):
- Hold a current class 1 car licence. Class 2, T & W endorsements would be an advantage
- Trade qualification in mechanical or engineering field
- Experience with hydraulics especially hydrostatic drive systems
- Experience with diesel engines service and maintenance
- Experience with power generation
- Understanding of electrical fundamentals
- Ability to enter maintenance documentation into a computer system
- First Aid – workplace level 1
- Machinery maintenance and operation – excavator, grader, groomer etc -
- Welding and fabrication skills
- Lifting and rigging
- Working at heights
Working on a ski area offers many unique experiences and rewards with no work day the same. The mountain environment can be challenging at times and suits someone with a “can do” attitude who appreciates working in the outdoors. The variety offered in work experience should be part of the attraction of this role.
Porters Ski Area is a growing company, showing commitment to its improvement and development in recent years with installation of a new Doppelmayr fixed quad chair, extensive earthworks and snowmaking system and power distribution upgrade. This summer, Porters began year-round operation of Porters Lodge, an accommodation and café business and have constructed a purpose built mountain bike trail for use by lodge customers.
This fixed term position (40 hours p/w min) would begin in early April and carry through to early Oct. This position would lead to an offer of year-round full time employment to the right applicant. An attractive remuneration package will be negotiated applicant’s based on skills and experience.
Applications should be directed to Uli Dinsenbacher, firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include a brief cover letter with your resume. You should provide references from at least two recent employers.